Shyla Costenbader is a litigation associate dedicated to collaborating with her clients to continually assess their unique legal needs and craft solutions that not only resolve their disputes, but also protect their assets and interests. With a keen understanding that effective legal solutions are a product of constant communication, Shyla counsels her clients during every step of the litigation process. She represents both individuals and businesses in complex civil litigation, including contract, employment, and trust and estate disputes.
Prior to joining the firm, Shyla served as a law clerk to the Honorable Stephen C. Shannon of the Fairfax County Circuit Court. Her clerkship experience in Virginia’s busiest trial court provided Shyla with unparalleled insight into hundreds of cases, including both successful and unsuccessful litigation strategies. She regularly utilizes this experience when developing litigation strategies for her clients.
During law school, Shyla served as an Advisor in the Mason Veterans and Servicemembers Legal Clinic where she provided pro bono legal assistance to active duty military, their families, and veterans.
J.D., George Mason University School of Law,
- Writing fellow
- Student Advisor, Mason Veterans and Servicemembers Legal Clinic
- Moot Court Board Member
- Trial Advocacy Association Member
- Finalist, 2015 Thacher Intramural Trial Advocacy Competition
- Quarter Finalist, 2014 First-Year Moot Court Competition
- Octo-Finalist, 2014 Upper-Class Moot Court Competition
- B.S., The Pennsylvania State University
- Civil Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Trusts & Estates
- Caring for All Who Have Borne the Battle: The VA’s Gap in Care for Elderly Female Veterans. Elder Law Journal, Volume 26 ( June 25, 2016 )
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Stephen C. Shannon, Fairfax Circuit Court, 19th Judicial Circuit of Virginia, 2017-2018
- Fairfax Bar Association
- Virginia Bar Association