Doug Ross understands that sometimes litigation is necessary to get the result sought by his clients. With 30 years of courtroom experience, he has the willingness and ability to efficiently try those cases that cannot be settled in a manner satisfactory to his clients.
A seasoned trial attorney, Doug has extensive experience with both jury and non-jury trials. His broad litigation practice includes banking, real estate, title insurance, shareholder and partnership disputes, and defamation. While he primarily appears before the Virginia state courts and the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, on occasion he represents clients in courts outside of Virginia, participating in the jurisdiction pro hac vice, or with permission of the court for that particular trial.
Doug, who also serves as the firm’s Managing Shareholder, has received an AV Rating, the highest rating given by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ for his legal ability and general ethical standards. He also has been listed among Virginia Business magazine’s “Legal Elite” seven times for Civil Litigation.
- J.D., with Honors, The George Washington University, 1983
- B.A., magna cum laude, Duke University, 1979
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia
- Banking Litigation
- Real Estate & Title Insurance Litigation
- Shareholder & Partnership Litigation
- Defamation Litigation
- Successfully obtained a summary judgment in favor of a national underwriter on a title insurance claim, which ruling was upheld by the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Successfully argued a Motion to Dismiss on a substantial defamation claim, which ruling was upheld in the Second Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Successfully defended breach of fiduciary duty claims against a corporation’s directors and shareholders, which ruling was upheld by the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Murnan v. Stewart Title Guaranty Company, 607 F. Supp. 2d 745 (E. D Va. 2009)
- Avila/Avila v. Community Bank of Virginia, et. al., 2003 WL 22002779 (Mo. App. W.D.)
- Berman v. Physical Medicine Associates, 225 F.3d 429 (4th Cir. 2000)
- FDIC v. Hish, 76 F.3d 620 (4th Cir. 1996)
- AV Preeminent® Peer Rated by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™
- 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, and 2013, Virginia Business magazine’s “Legal Elite” – Civil Litigation