David Lawrence’s philosophy on the practice of law is clear and powerful: Clients don’t want a legal solution to their problems; they seek a practical business solution that’s legal.
This idea—along with having grown up in a family of business owners—has informed his approach to helping entrepreneurs manage their businesses as holistic systems for more than 25 years. Indeed, his knowledge of the unique dynamics of inter-family and closely-held businesses helps clients solve their most pressing business needs without having to worry that their legal solutions may not align with other key decisions. To achieve this all-important balance, he takes the time to listen to his clients’ concerns, questions, and goals. Only then does he apply the law and his experience to create effective strategies.
David holds a master’s degree in tax law, and has more than 25 years of experience in corporate, tax, and finance law. He was one of the first attorneys in Virginia to form limited liability companies (LLCs) and continues to so do in multiple states. His practice focuses on business operations, tax-efficient structures, wealth preservation, mergers and acquisitions, leveraged management buy-outs, joint ventures, and tax-free like-kind exchanges.
In addition to advising clients on closely-held business issues, David also acts as outside general counsel to businesses and as an adviser to business and investment owners. He has structured and organized banks, and represents lenders and borrowers in all types of financings including: asset-based receivable lending, government contractor lending, automobile dealer floor plan financings, commercial real estate and securitized lending, leveraged ESOP lending, and art lending.
David’s clients include technology companies, government contractors, healthcare practices, professional service businesses, real estate investors and developers, construction companies, and auto dealerships.
David was recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® lists from 2012-2020 for Tax Law. In addition, he was selected for inclusion in the 2006 Virginia Super Lawyers and 2007 Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers lists. David was also selected in 2013 among Virginia’s “Legal Elite,” according to Virginia Business magazine.
- LL.M., Taxation, Georgetown University Law Center, 1980
- J.D., with Honors, George Washington University Law School, 1978
- B.A., Emory University, 1975
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Tax Court
- Business Formation, Growth, Operation & Disposition
- Corporations, Limited Liability Companies & Partnerships
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Tax Structural Issues
- Automobile Dealer Floor Plan Financing
- Real Estate LLCs & Partnerships
- Wealth Preservation Techniques
- Professional Group Practices: health, accounting, engineering, law & counseling
- Tax-Free Like-Kind Exchanges
- Government Contractor Compliance
- Commercial & Securitized Lending
- Asset-Based & Art Lending
- ESOP Lending
- Representation of the founders of several emerging technology companies and government contractors regarding their corporate structures, shareholder relationships, tax issues, operations, and finances, as well as the sale of the companies to national concerns.
- Advised businesses on sales to larger concerns including the owners of a government contractor technology company on its $125 million sale to a national concern, a delivery services company on its $50 million sale to an international acquirer, the owners of a building trade company on its $40 million sale, and professionals in several roll-up acquisitions of professional practice groups.
- Represented sellers and companies in a $45 million leveraged ESOP sale including financing, refinancing, and workouts.
- Represented real estate companies in a $75 million, multi-tier bankruptcy remote single purpose entities’ securitized financing.
- Structured multi-million dollar tax-free like-kind exchanges ranging from single properties to complicated transactions involving 12 different properties and tenant-in-common exchanges.
- Prepared technology and product companies and government contractors to raise venture capital, go public, or be sold.
- General Counsel to a bank, representing it in its organization, capital raise, operations, lending, and later sale to a public financial institution. Later representing the public institution on complex lending matters.
- 2012 - 2022, The Best Lawyers in America® - Tax Law
- 2017, Northern Virginia magazine Best of NoVA, top lawyers in Tax Law
- 2013 , Virginia Business magazine’s “Legal Elite” - Business Law
- 2007, Washington D.C. Super Lawyers - Business/Corporate
- 2006, Virginia Super Lawyers - Business/Corporate
- Virginia Bar Association, Tax Section
- Past Chair – Board of Governors
- Fairfax Bar Association, Tax Section
- Past Chair
- D.C. Bar Association, Tax Section
- Past Associate Editor, Tax Service for Corporate Acquisitions and Dispositions of Businesses
- Past Editor, IRS Practices & Procedures