Benjamin Kinder’s practice focuses on working with and for his clients to help them navigate the many traps and pitfalls of the Internal Revenue Code. Whether it is helping taxpayers with IRS audits, advising charities to ensure that they receive the tax-exempt status that they deserve, revising estate plans to reduce estate and gift taxes, or mentoring at the local elementary school, Ben remains focused on helping people.
Ben represents individual and corporate taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service and state tax departments, in the areas of audits, examinations and collections regarding income taxes, employment taxes, sales and use taxes, licensing taxes (including BPOL), and estate and gift taxes. Ben also regularly works with non-profit organizations, advising them regarding their formation, their application for tax-exempt status, as well as their ongoing operations in accordance with federal and state law.
Ben also handles general corporate and estate planning matters, including corporate governance, charitable remainder trusts, commercial transactions, and benefit corporations.
Prior to joining Odin, Feldman & Pittleman, Ben interned for the Honorable Judge David Laro at the U.S. Tax Court and worked at Bloomberg Bureau of National Affairs in the State and Local Tax Group.
- LL.M. in Taxation, Georgetown University Law Center, 2011
- J.D., American University Washington College of Law, 2010
- B.A., University of Michigan (Ann Arbor), 2006
- New York
- United States Tax Court
- Tax Law
- Non-profit Law
- Business Entity Formation
- Corporate Governance
- Corporate Law
- Charitable Planning
- Cautionary Guidance for Operating a Private Foundation, Estate Planning magazine ( February 1, 2017 )
- Co-author, Bloomberg BNA Virginia Corporate Income Tax Portfolio ( January 1, 2018 )
- 2019, Arlington magazine's Top Attorneys - Nonprofit
- 2018, Virginia Business magazine "Legal Elite" - Business Law
- Virginia State Bar
- New York State Bar
- Fairfax Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Tax Section
- Fairfax County Public Schools