Eric Horvitz’s approach to achieving a client’s goals begins by listening to the client to determine their principal objectives. Then he recommends a strategy and approach that best meets the client’s goals, in plain language, not legalese.
Eric advises businesses in negotiating asset acquisitions and dispositions, financing transactions, both equity and debt, and structuring executive compensation. Frequently in representing the owners of closely-held businesses, personal issues become intertwined with business issues. Eric understands this particular dynamic and advises a client on how a business issue may affect the client’s personal estate planning. Often times, a client’s business is the most valuable asset, giving rise to the need to preserve the business’ value. Eric also represents clients in estate planning matters involving wills, trusts, and estates. He has experience in business succession planning, complex trusts, and fiduciary liability.
Eric has completed numerous M&A transactions and mezzanine funding transactions to private equity firms.
In the tax controversy area, Eric represents taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service and state authorities in examination and collection efforts in income, sales and use, and estate and gift tax matters.
Eric has been listed among Virginia Business magazine’s “Legal Elite” for Business Law three times. He also was selected for inclusion in the Virginia Super Lawyer and Washington, D.C. Super Lawyer listing for Tax law twice. Eric also was selected by the readers of SmartCEO magazine for inclusion in their “Legal Elite” listing in 2011.
- LL.M., Taxation, New York University, 1994
- J.D., The George Washington University, 1991
- B.A., University of Michigan, 1988
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Tax Court
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Venture Capital and Angel Financings
- Debt Financing Transactions
- Stock & Option Program Design and Implementation
- Nonqualified Deferred Compensation & Phantom Stock Plans
- Negotiations with federal and state taxing agencies
- State & Federal Tax Audits and Appeals
- Estate & Gift Planning
- 2022, The Best Lawyers in America® – Tax Law
- 2021, Virginia Business magazine's "Legal Elite" – Corporate Counsel
- 2006- 2007, Virginia Super Lawyer – Tax Law
- 2007-2008, Washington, D.C. Super Lawyer – Tax Law
- 2006, 2012, 2014 , and 2020, Virginia Business magazine’s “Legal Elite” – Business Law
- 2011, SmartCEO magazine “Legal Elite”
- February, 2001: Avoiding Self-Laid Land Mines: Common Pitfalls of Startup Tech Companies, Arlington County Bar Association
- May 2000: The ‘Right’ Business Plan for Raising Venture Capital Financing, Odin, Feldman & Pittleman, P.C. Emerging Company Series
- February/January 2000: Venture Capital 2000: Trends, Traps and Tips, OF&P Emerging Company Series
- American Bar Association
- Taxation and Real Property, Trust and Estate Law sections
- Association for Corporate Growth
- Committee on Corporate Tax
- Greater Reston Chamber of Commerce INC.spire Education Foundation
- Board Member
- Attorney-Advisor, Judge David Laro, U.S. Tax Court, 1994