As a trial lawyer for almost 30 years, Bruce Blanchard understands the pressure, expense, frustration, and uncertainty that litigation imposes upon a client. In order to achieve a desired outcome in court, Bruce works with his clients to define their priorities and develop a strategy that achieves the clients’ objectives. He brings common sense, an affinity for people, and a commitment to ethics in both his civil and criminal practice. Bruce believes hard work, preparation, and identification of important issues and themes are necessary to develop a winning strategy for trial.
Bruce has spent the majority of his career trying complex civil and criminal cases and serves both corporate and individual clients with matters in Virginia state and federal courts. His clients include municipal governments, international trade corporations, national and local business enterprises, professional partnerships and joint ventures, and individuals.
In his civil litigation practice, Bruce has tried commercial, contract and construction disputes; land use and zoning actions; copyright and trademark infringement cases; and labor and employment claims. He has also represented both plaintiffs and defendants in product liability litigation, as well as bodily injury and wrongful death cases. As a former prosecutor, and over twenty five years as a criminal defense attorney, Bruce is familiar with all aspects of criminal investigations and prosecution. In his criminal litigation practice, Bruce routinely defends individuals and corporations on state and federal offenses, including complex white collar crimes. This experience allows him to work with businesses on internal and external investigations involving allegations of embezzlement or corporate wrongdoing.
In addition to receiving an AV rating, the highest rating given by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ for his legal ability and general ethical standards, Bruce was selected as one of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Virginia by The National Trial Lawyers. He has also been listed among Virginia Business magazine’s “Legal Elite” eight times, as well as selected for inclusion in the Virginia Super Lawyers lists since 2007, and the Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers lists since 2008. Most recently Bruce was selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017 list for Commercial Litigation.
Bruce and his wife Ann have three children—all three are University of Virginia Cavaliers. Bruce has been active in his local community, serving as a member of the Manassas Regional Airport Commission and the Board of the Prince William Health System Foundation. He is also a member of the Board of the Fairfax Law Foundation and a former member of the Fairfax Bar Association Board of Directors.
J.D., University of Richmond, School of Law, 1984
- University of Richmond Law Review
- B.A., with Distinction, University of Virginia, 1981
- Commercial Litigation
- Real Estate/Land Use Litigation
- Employment Litigation
- Criminal Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Construction Disputes
- Personal Injury / Wrongful Death Litigation
- Obtained a settlement of $3.5 million in a wrongful death action arising out of a claim of a defectively designed highway intersection, in a case involving complex issues of sovereign immunity and contributory negligence.
- Obtained a settlement in excess of $2 million for members of a family injured in a multi-vehicle accident, where the damages included a claim of substantial loss of income and earning capacity resulting from a traumatic brain injury to the family’s primary income provider.
- Represented parties under investigation by federal law enforcement agencies for alleged criminal activity, which concluded with no charges being filed against these clients.
- Successfully represented the fastest growing county in the United States in two complex land use litigation cases, resulting in the dismissal of both cases.
- Represented a corporate client in a criminal investigation of an employee leading to the successful recovery of more than $900,000 in embezzled funds.
- Obtained a dismissal at trial of a claim against a telecommunications company resulting from a failed merger, where the Plaintiff was seeking damages in excess of $130 million.
- Testified as an expert witness on behalf of a national insurance company in a dispute regarding a litigation attorney’s fees.
- Obtained a jury verdict in excess of $1.2 million for a family in a toxic tort case in a vigorously contested trial against a local municipality.
- AV Preeminent® Peer Rated by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™
- Selected as one of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Virginia by The National Trial Lawyers
- 2013-2019,The Best Lawyers in America® for Commercial Litigation
- 2007-2015, 2018 - 2019, Virginia Super Lawyers – Criminal Defense
- 2008-2015, 2018 - 2019, D.C. Super Lawyers – Criminal Defense
- 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012-2014 and 2017, Virginia Business magazine’s “Legal Elite” – Criminal Law
- Commissioner in Chancery, Fairfax County Circuit Court
- Fairfax Law Foundation
- Member, Board of Directors, 2010 – present
- Fairfax Bar Association
- Board of Directors, 1999-2002
- Judicial Screening Committee, 1996-2000
- Professionalism Committee, 1997-1999
- Virginia Bar Association, Criminal Law Section
- American Association for Justice
- Prince William County Bar Association
- Manassas Regional Airport Commission
- Prince William Health Foundation
- Board of Directors, 2000 – 2008