Labor & Employment Attorneys
Odin, Feldman & Pittleman’s Labor and Employment lawyers regularly counsel corporate clients on state and federal law compliance, employment actions and personnel policies at each phase of the employment relationship life cycle, from recruiting and interviewing to hiring, through day-to-day employee questions and challenges, to workforce reorganizations and terminations. We also review and prepare employee handbooks, audit employer workplace policies and participate in corporate due diligence efforts.
Odin, Feldman & Pittleman’s Labor and Employment lawyers regularly counsel corporate clients on state and federal law compliance, employment actions, and personnel policies at each phase of the employment relationship lifecycle, from recruiting, interviewing, hiring, through day-to-day employee questions and challenges, to workforce reorganizations and terminations. We also review and prepare employee handbooks, audit employer workplace policies, and participate in corporate due diligence efforts.
Our attorneys routinely advise and train managers and supervisors in the following:
- Recognizing and Preventing Sexual and other harassment
- Performance management and counseling problem employees
- Addressing substance abuse in the workplace
- Interplay among leave issues under the Family Medical Leave Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the employer’s leave policies and any short- or long-term disability policies
- Collective bargaining
- Developing overtime compensation methods and proper classification of exempt and non-exempt employees under the Fair Labor Standards Act
- Documenting employment actions
- Handling grievances under collective bargaining agreements
- Interviewing do’s and don’t’s
- Maintaining a union-free workplace
- Preventing workplace violence
- Properly engaging independent contractors and preparation of independent contractor agreements
- Compliant background checks under the Fair Credit Reporting Act
- Understanding Equal Employment Opportunity laws and avoiding discrimination claims
- Understanding FMLA leave and accommodations for medical conditions
By teaming with our clients’ human resources and operations executives, we suggest strategies for risk management and enhanced worker productivity.
Our review of employee handbooks includes ensuring that employee policies and procedures conform to state and federal law and provide clear expectations of employee conduct. There are often myriad ways to address employee work benefits, administrative practices, conduct rules, and performance expectations. Therefore, our review also includes a discussion about the goals the employer is seeking to achieve through its policies and suggest different possible options to consider to meet those individualized goals.
Our employment lawyers review and draft:
- Employment Agreements
- Executive Compensation Agreements
- Confidentiality Agreements
- Non-Competition Agreements and Non-Solicitation Agreements
- Stock Option Plans
- Intellectual Property Agreements
- Consulting and other independent contractor agreements