Northern Virginia Divorce Attorneys
Whether helping clients draft a pre-nuptial agreement or negotiating a complex and contentious divorce settlement, the Family and Domestic Law attorneys at Odin, Feldman & Pittleman deliver compassionate, comprehensive counsel that protects you and your children’s best interests.
Our depth of experience in the courtroom and our creative approaches to family law issues has helped clients find favorable resolution to their situations for more than four decades. We have experience in local, national, and international family law matters and appear regularly in Northern Virginia courts including those in the counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, and Fauquier; in the cities of Alexandria and Winchester; as well as in the Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Courts, Circuit Courts, and Virginia Court of Appeals.
Whether through negotiation, mediation, trial, or appeal, our attorneys zealously protect you, your family and your new future.
Areas of Concentration
The end of a marriage—no matter how amicable—presents life-changing challenges that require planning, guidance and support. Our Northern Virginia divorce attorneys blend their experience with compassion and use their extensive legal knowledge to help you find and chart the best “new” normal for yourself and for your family. We represent a broad range of clients, including high-net worth individuals and military personnel. And, because each situation has its unique issues, we work closely with each client to determine the best legal path to divorce, whether it be mediation, an uncontested divorce, or courtroom trial.
When seeking a divorce in Northern Virginia, you need clear, compassionate counsel and a zealous advocate representing your best interests. Our family law attorneys offer solid experience and a successful track record in all aspects of navigating the end of your marriage, including:
- Contested and uncontested divorces
- Fault-based divorces on the grounds of adultery, desertion and cruelty
- Equitable distribution of assets, including fighting for more than 50% of the assets
- Complex tracing of separate property, such as inheritances and assets owned prior to the marriage
- Valuing a business
- Negotiating marital settlement agreements
- Divorce taxation
- Obtaining name changes for clients before, during and after divorce
- Establishing and contesting paternity of children
- Drafting confidentiality agreements
- Appeals to the Virginia Court of Appeals and Supreme Court of Virginia on behalf of clients who were dissatisfied with their legal representation and/or the outcome at trial
We help clients to establish, modify and enforce child support and spousal support in hopes of removing financial worry from the list of adjustments following divorce. As necessary, we augment our knowledge and legal expertise by partnering with key professionals, such as financial advisers and CPAs, to secure the resources that you and your children need to maintain stability and financial peace of mind.
The divorce attorneys at OF&P leverage a full range of strategies for securing financial support for you and your children, including, but not limited to:
- Obtaining court orders to compel payment of support
- Enforcing the garnishment of wages
- Modifying support in the future upon the occurrence of a material change of circumstances
- Working with vocational rehabilitation experts to provide expert opinions on the earning capacity of unemployed or underemployed spouses
- Working with CPAs to determine the true income of business owners
Children should never be collateral damage in a divorce. Our Fairfax child custody attorneys can help you establish, modify or enforce child custody and visitation arrangements that protect your children’s welfare, and, whenever possible, preserve the children’s relationships with both parents. When custody and visitation are contested, we work with psychologists and other mental health professionals to conduct psychological evaluations and substance abuse evaluations of the parents. Our Fairfax child custody attorneys are well versed in dealing with guardian ad litems and Child Protective Services.
- Successfully petitioned the court to allow a mother to relocate across the country despite the fact that the father exercised regular and successful visitation with the children.
- Successfully traced separate assets that a spouse owned 20 years ago prior to the marriage that had been commingled with marital funds and/or retitled into joint names.
- Successfully obtained significant visitation rights despite significant alienation attempts by the other parent.
- Successfully resolved through mediation and settlement complex divorce case involving significant assets and seven expert witnesses where every issue was in dispute, including which assets were marital and which were separate; the value and division of numerous assets, including a business, various pieces of real property, a boat, and personal property; allegations of fault; spousal support; child support; and custody and visitation.
- Successfully won custody for a parent who had previously lost custody after a multi-day trial in which numerous expert witnesses testified.
- Protected one spouse’s separate interests in several hotel investments, eliminating the business interests from the marital estate.
- Successfully and confidentially mediated high-stakes divorces for prominent professionals and public figures.
- Reunited an alienated parent with her children by winning custody from the alienating parent and helped set up a reunification program.
- Successfully litigated a contentious relocation custody matter where a mother won the right to move out of Virginia with an only child while the Father was seeing his son regularly. Negotiated reasonable visitation schedule back in Virginia and in the new state.
- Mediated complex long term divorce, dividing a marital estate with over 100 rental properties and businesses.