Provide high-level administrative support by performing functions such as preparing correspondence and other documentation, receiving visitors, arranging conference calls, scheduling meetings, maintaining positive contact with clients, attorneys and staff and observing confidentiality of client matters.
The requirements for this position include, but are not limited to, those outlined below. All job qualifications and physical requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities to enable them to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Handle all tasks associated with covering secretarial desks throughout the Firm when absences occur and assist with overflow work.
- Answer electronic communications and phone calls, and direct them to appropriate parties or take messages.
- Prepare reports, memos, letters and other documents using word processing, spreadsheet, database, or presentation software.
- Transcribe and revise tapes and handwritten materials generated by assigned attorneys or others in the Firm as requested.
- Perform extensive typing (from handwritten notes, Dictaphone tapes, digital dictation, or pre-typed drafts), formatting and revising legal documents.
- Proofread all documents to ensure accuracy of copy, grammar, punctuation and syntax as well as conformance to Firm formats.
- Maintain client lists, either manual or computerized.
- Set up and maintain client, work, chronological and personal files.
- Input, proof and edit attorney or paralegal time records through timesheet entry system. Consolidate, edit and total time ensuring accuracy of input.
- Prepare and proof attorney bills prior to attorney approval.
- Provide relief/coverage at the front desk when necessary – particularly at lunch and from 4 pm to 6 pm.
- Ensure the accurate and timely completion of all documents submitted for processing in the Word Processing Department (WP) to the satisfaction of attorneys and other users.
- Troubleshoot document and/or technical inquiries. Educate end users in features of Microsoft software they wish to learn.
- Serve as a Notary Public for the Commonwealth of Virginia (Firm pays all associated costs). Notarize documents for any attorney or client as needed and maintain required notarial journal.
- Serve as witness.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Highly organized with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks, work effectively under stress, meet short deadlines, and work alone or as part of a team.
- Ability to coordinate multiple schedules and produce accurate work despite frequent interruptions in a fast-paced work environment.
- Excellent customer service, problem solving and interpersonal skills with a team-oriented attitude.
- Knowledge of office procedures, clerical and recordkeeping operations, and the use of various office machines and software programs.
- Excellent verbal and written skills with knowledge of the rules of English grammar, composition, editing and proofreading.
- Self-starter with the ability to perform assigned duties with minimum supervision.
- Ability to identify problems and implement recommended solutions; interpret and apply policies and procedures; deal diplomatically with the public; take responsibility and ownership of tasks; and use good judgment.
- Ability to key a minimum of 50 words per minute.
- Ability to learn and use new software programs as systems are upgraded.
- Prior experience with Microsoft Office Applications, Orion, FileSite a plus.
- Legal experience is a plus.
High school diploma and two years of secretarial experience; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Principals only, no recruiters.
Odin, Feldman & Pittleman, P.C. maintains a strong policy of equal employment opportunity. All decisions related to employment are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other classifications protected by applicable law. Our commitment to equal employment opportunity applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, benefits, compensation, working conditions, promotion, demotion, transfer, training, and termination.