Jonathan E. O’Connell focuses his practice on providing counseling advice to employers and executives with respect to labor and employment and human resources matters. With over 15 years practicing in the area of labor & employment law, Jon is aware of the importance of providing clients with advice and counsel which meets their compliance and business goals in a practical and efficient manner.
Jon has significant litigation experience in both federal and state courts. He has litigated cases involving a wide range of labor and employment matters, including contract disputes, defense of claims of discrimination asserted under the ADAA, ADEA, Title VII, and the Fair Labor Standards Act, defense of whistleblower claims asserted under the False Claims Act, enforcement of non-competition, non-solicitation, and confidentiality agreements, claims of breach of fiduciary duty, and claims of violations of the Virginia Uniform Trade Secrets Act. He has also represented clients in various arbitration proceedings.
Jon draws on his employment litigation background in order to provide clients with counseling and compliance advice aimed at avoiding litigation and, where litigation is unavoidable, placing them in the best position to effectively defend their interests.
Jon has extensive experience counseling employers with respect to a variety of human resources and personnel-related matters, including termination, performance, and disciplinary issues, as well as wage and hour compliance (including the FLSA and Service Contract Act), and ADAA and FMLA compliance. Throughout his career, he has regularly prepared, developed, and revised employee handbooks and personnel policies on behalf of private and public employers. He has also assisted employers of all sizes with the preparation, review, and negotiation of separation agreements with departing employees. Jon also has experience providing advice and counsel to clients with respect to large-scale reductions in force and compliance with the WARN Act.
He holds his Senior Professional in Human Resources (“SPHR”) certification from the HR Certification Institute, as well as his Senior Professional Certification from the Society for Human Resource Management (“SHRM-SCP”).
In his free time, Jon enjoys spending time with his wife and two small children, exploring the many great activities the Northern Virginia area has to offer.
- LL.M., The George Washington University Law School, 2023
- J.D., University of Florida School of Law, 2005
B.S., Psychology, University of Florida, 2002
- Minor: Criminology
- District of Columbia
- Society for Human Resource Management, Employment Law Online, “Denial of Job Transfer Might be Challenged as Discriminatory” ( January 10, 2023 )
- Society for Human Resource Management, Employment Law Online, “Challenge to ‘No-Hire’ Agreement” Proceeds” ( January 4, 2023 )
- The Florida Bar, Labor and Employment Section: The Checkoff, “Enforcing Arbitration Agreements: a Recent Case and New Law,” Vol. LXII, No. 1 ( August 15, 2022 )
- Society for Human Resource Management, Employment Law Online, “No FLMA Claim Without Expressed Intention to Take FMLA Leave” ( August 9, 2022 )
- Society for Human Resources Management