In counseling and representing his clients, Hans Riede relies upon his diverse educational background in business, finance, and trial advocacy to give clients frank, bottom-line advice and analysis regarding not only the potential benefits of taking a case to trial, but also the potential costs and risks associated with any litigation. As a competitive tennis player and avid sports fan, he has been fortunate to represent professional athletes, and even an NBA Hall of Fame basketball coach, in addition to corporations, law firms, Am100 law partners, doctors, and business executives.
Hans focuses his practice on labor and employment law and commercial litigation, with a particular focus on employment and trade secrets litigation. He has extensive experience litigating trade secrets and defamation cases, non-compete agreements, executive compensation contracts, class actions, collective actions, and cases brought under a wide variety of federal and state employment statutes. In his litigation practice, Hans routinely serves as local counsel and co-counsel for international and national law firms. He also counsels employers regarding employment agreements, policies and handbooks, employee discipline and terminations, and compliance with state and federal employment laws.
Hans has received an AV rating, the highest rating given by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™, for his legal ability and general ethical standards, and was selected for inclusion as a Virginia Super Lawyers Rising Star in Employment Litigation (defense) in 2014, 2015, and 2016, a Washington D.C. Super Lawyers Rising Star in Employment Litigation (defense) in 2015 and 2016, and by Virginia Business Magazine as a 2015 Legal Elite Commercial Litigator. He is a Barnett Scholarship recipient, and he also completed the Denmark International Study Program (DIS) for International Business, studying in Copenhagen, Denmark, in 2001.
Hans also assists Spanish speaking clients.
- Trial Advocacy Institute, University of Virginia School of Law, 2009
- J.D., University of Richmond School of Law, 2007
- Managing Editor, Richmond Journal of Global Law and Business
- B.S., McIntire School of Commerce, University of Virginia, 2002
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- 4th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Lead attorney and first-chair trial counsel for commodities brokerage firm client in its defense of multi-million dollar trade secrets, tort, and business conspiracy lawsuit.
- Lead attorney and first-chair trial counsel for health care consulting firm in its successful defense of multiple-six-figure breach of contract lawsuit brought by former executive.
- Representation of well-known regional restaurant in its successful defense of hybrid FLSA/state wage and hour collective and class action claims.
- Defense of Fortune 1000 CEO in multi-million dollar business tort lawsuit. Authored and argued motion to dismiss. Obtained dismissal.
- First-chair trial counsel for government contractor client in successful enforcement of employee non-compete agreements.
- Successful defense of claims brought under the False Claims Act (“FCA”), the Uniform Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (“USERRA”), Title VII, and the FLSA.
- Labor and Employment
- Commercial Litigation
- AV Preeminent® Peer Rated by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™
- In 2014, 2015, and 2016 selected as a Virginia Super Lawyers “Rising Star” in Employment Litigation (defense).
- In 2015 and 2016 selected as a Washington D.C. Super Lawyers “Rising Star” in Employment Litigation (defense).
- In 2015 selected by Virginia Business Magazine as a 2015 “Legal Elite” Commercial Litigator.
- Presenter, Pregnancy Discrimination Act, District of Columbia Women’s Bar Association, May 2016
- Presenter, The Fair Labor Standards Act and Related Wage and Hour Compliance Issues in the Workplace, August 2014
- Presenter, Preventing Discrimination and Harassment in the Workplace, July 2010
- Presenter, Employment Law Interactive Training, Comprehensive presentation to managers on employment law and management issues, June 2009
- Fairfax County Public Schools, Student Mentor