John P. Dedon
John Dedon is a principal in Odin, Feldman & Pittleman, P.C., Reston, Virginia, with the Trust, Estate & Tax Planning practice group. As an estate planning, business, and tax attorney, he has been in private practice since 1984. His practice focuses on preserving wealth for individuals and business owners from estate and income tax, potential creditors, and probate costs.
Mr. Dedon was recently selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers of America® 2013, in the field of Trusts and Estates, and listed by Washingtonian Magazine in November 2012, as one of Washington’s premier estate lawyers. Since 2007, Mr. Dedon has been named among Virginia's "Legal Elite" according to Virginia Business magazine. His inclusion on this list means that he is among those lawyers recognized by his peers as the best in Virginia. Virginia Business Magazine selected him as the Virginia estate and trust attorney to profile in 2012 (http://www.virginiabusiness.com/index.php/news/article/2012-legal-elite-profile-taxes-estates-trusts-elder-law).
Mr. Dedon has been quoted extensively in newspapers throughout the country including the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post and Chicago Tribune. Mr. Dedon has written numerous articles for professional journals and publications on tax issues, and speaks on tax matters and wealth preservation issues. He is also the author of Dedon on Estate Planning (http://www.dedononestateplanning.typepad.com/), a regularly updated discussion of estate planning topics affecting U.S. citizens.
If you are preparing for your first appointment with Mr. Dedon, click here to watch a video that provides an overview of issues you will discuss at your first meeting.
- Estate Planning
- Tax Planning and Controversy
- Wealth Preservation
- Asset Protection
- Corporate and Business Planning
Education & Background:
- LL.M. Taxation, Georgetown University Law Center, 1984
- J.D., cum laude, New England School of Law, 1982
- B.A., with honors, George Washington University, 1978
- Attorney-Advisor, Judge Randolph Caldwell, Jr., U.S. Tax Court, 1982-1984
- Fairfax Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar Association
- Virginia Automobile Dealers Association Education Foundation Advisory Board, Member
- Inova Health Systems, Board of Directors
Articles / Speeches / Presentations:
- "IRS Beneficiary Designations Stretch or Shorten Payout Period," Estate Planning Journal, Vol. 38. No. 2
- Capital Gain, Plainly Explained: With planning, real estate sales don't have to be taxed as ordinary income, Legal Times, September 2006
- How to Take It With You: Cryonic preservation trusts help create new possibilities for clients, Legal Times, February 2006
- Wealth Preservation for the Technology Entrepreneur, March 2000
Admitted to Practice:
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Claims Court
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia