As a seasoned lawyer and mediator, Leslye Fenton knows how to effectively communicate, negotiate, and resolve conflict. Her training in mediation combined with her legal skills enables her to help clients identify their goals and develop strategies to obtain their desired results. She believes in listening carefully to her clients to identify their key interests. She then provides them with a comprehensive understanding of the legal issues confronting them, and helps them determine how these interests can be protected and promoted. Leslye’s mediation training gives her a unique perspective, helping her guide her clients in developing practical solutions. Her ultimate goal is to develop the most efficient strategy to solve the problem at hand while helping her clients navigate the legal process to a timely completion.
Leslye’s practice includes Family Law and Commercial Leasing. She has found that her unique combination of skills is advantageous in both areas of her practice because both require effective negotiating strategies.
In her Family Law practice, Leslye concentrates on issues involving equitable distribution of property, child and spousal support, visitation, and a variety of other issues affecting children and families. She is experienced in the area of dispute resolution and is certified by the Supreme Court of Virginia as a mediator. She uses mediation as an alternative to adjudicating family law matters. Leslye also is a frequent speaker on family law issues at The Women’s Center and other organizations.
In her Commercial Leasing practice, Leslye has extensive knowledge and experience representing both landlords and tenants in negotiating and drafting commercial leases of shopping centers, office buildings, business parks, warehouses, and unimproved land. She has also presented a number of CLE seminars on commercial leasing.
Leslye has been listed among Virginia Business magazine’s “Legal Elite” for Alternative Dispute Resolution in five separate years. She has been selected by her peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® listing for Family Law Mediation since 2010. She has also been selected for inclusion in both the Virginia Super Lawyer and the Washington, D.C. Super Lawyer listings for Family Law. Leslye is a contributing author to the Virginia Divorce and Custody Law blog.
- J.D., George Mason University School of Law, 1984
- George Mason University Law Review, Board of Editors
- M.S.W., Yeshiva University, 1979
- NIMH Fellow
- B.A., Hofstra University, 1974
- District of Columbia
- Reported Cases:
- Brown v. Brown, 5 Va. 238 (1987)
- Premarital & Postnuptial Agreements
- Equitable Distribution
- Commercial Leasing
- Harry L. Carrico Professionalism Course, Faculty
- Fairfax Bar Association
- Virginia Women Attorneys Association
- Neutral Case Evaluator, Fairfax County Circuit Court
- Best Lawyers in America® 2010-2016 – Family Law Mediation
- 2006-2015 Virginia Super Lawyer – Family Law
- 2007-2015 Washington, D.C. Super Lawyer – Family Law
- Virginia Business magazine’s “Legal Elite” 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013 and 2014 – Alternate Dispute Resolution
- The Women’s Center – Northern Virginia
- Board Member 2005 – Present