A founding member of Odin, Feldman & Pittleman, P.C., Dexter Odin has been practicing law for over 40 years and has a keen understanding of his clients’ situations. Leveraging his knowledge of the law and substantial experience, he provides practical solutions that are innovative and unique to each client. His experience includes land use, municipal law, and commercial and criminal litigation.
Dexter has tried criminal and civil cases involving most every form of business organization and controversy ranging from trademarks, federal tax issues, and business fraud to contract, tort, and entity and officer controversies. His federal trial practice has included cases arising under treaty and international law as well as the representation of the Republic of Sudan.
Over the course of his career, Dexter has served as the County Attorney for Fairfax County; Chief Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney for the County of Fairfax, the City of Falls Church, and the Towns of Herndon and Clifton; counsel for several local governments in Northern Virginia; and counsel to three banking institutions. In addition, he has represented several state authorities, including the Upper Occoquan Service Authority. He was appointed by the Supreme Court of Virginia to represent judges of the Commonwealth, state and local officials, and twice as special Commonwealth’s Attorney for Fairfax County. Dexter was also appointed by the Supreme Court of Virginia as defense counsel in four original writ cases tried before that court. He was formerly a Commissioner in Chancery for the Nineteenth Circuit Court of Virginia.
Dexter has received an AV rating, the highest rating given by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ for his legal ability and general ethical standards, and has been listed for more than two decades in the Best Lawyers in America®. He also was selected as a Virginia Super Lawyer eight times and a Washington, D.C. Super Lawyer eight times.
- J.D., The George Washington University, 1961
- B.S., Industrial Relations, University of Florida, 1956
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Tax Court
- Matthews v. Matthews, 26 Va.App. 627 (1998)
- Trans-Orient Marine Corp. v. Star Trading & Marine, Inc. and the Republic of Sudan, 925 F.2d 566 (2nd Cir. 1991)
- Mary Sue Terry, Attorney General of Virginia v. Edward J. Mazur, Comptroller of Virginia, 362 S.E.2d 904 (Va. 1987)
- Real Estate & Land Use
- Intellectual Property
- Employment & Labor
- Unfair Competition
- Environmental Land Use
- Municipal & Local Government
- George Mason American Inns of Court, Master of the Bench
- Federal Bar Association
- Virginia Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Fairfax Bar Association
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- George Mason University Foundation, Trustee (former)
- AV Preeminent® Peer Rated by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™
- Best Lawyers in America® 1990-2014 for Eminent Domain and Condemnation, Litigation-Municipal, and Municipal Law
- Virginia Super Lawyer 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 –Business Litigation
- Washington, D.C. Super Lawyer 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 –Business Litigation